Wednesday, June 19, 2013

My problem with Army Painter paints

So the other day I was talking about my issues with the Army Painter line of paints. It could be that my expectations are different than what they are selling. But I would hope that a line that boasts that its about speed painting, would not require you to do multiple coats in order to get the coverage you need. So in this brief update today, I wanted to show you an example of what I was talking about.


So, here we are with the Prussian Carrier model. I recently got this in a trade and it was already primed grey. Which to me is fine because I really like using grey primer on models. Typically grey is forgiving to the lighter colors, and just provides a nice foundation.

So therefore, I pulled out my AP desert yellow color and went about painting this thing by hand. As you can see, the results are not fantastic. The middle section has two coats on it already. Looking closely, you can still see variations in the color as the grey primer is sneaking through. To the left and right of the middle sections are single coat areas. Clearly these are unacceptable in terms of coverage. I have emailed AP and they were great in giving me some suggestions for handling the thin paint...but none have really worked out for me.

So again, maybe it is my issue with the expectations of the paint. Overall, I like them. And the color primers are great. I guess I will just need to make sure I primer the models the main color first and then do multiple coats for the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment